Monday, December 27, 2010

A dash of this, a pinch of that

I'm taking full advantage of my vacation and procrastinating. I leave for Charleston and my cruise in 4 days, and instead of packing, I decided that I would cook! Tonight's menu: My mom's famous Chicken Enchiladas! However, I add something new each time, and this time I went a little wild. Here is my updated version of an old favorite.

Chicken Enchiladas:
Serves 4
2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp. butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1-2 Tbsp Chili Powder
Ground Cayenne Pepper, to taste
3 generous dashes of Cholula hot sauce
1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups cooked chicken, cut up
Monterey Jack and Cheddar Cheese, shredded
8 flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 375*.

Sautee onion in butter. Add Chili Powder and Cayenne Pepper. Add 11/2 cans of Cream of Chicken soup, 3/4 cup Sour Cream, and drained and rinsed black beans to the pan and heat through.

Put chicken mixture in tortillas, top with cheese and roll up. Place in greased baking dish. In a separate container, mix remaining Cream of Chicken soup (roughly 1/2 can) and 1/4 cup sour cream (I always sprinkle a little chili powder in this mix as well). Spread this mixture on top of the filled and rolled tortillas, cover with foil, and bake for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and sprinkle cheese on top. Return to oven, uncovered, for 3 to 4 minutes.

Source: adapted from my mom

I hope your family enjoys this as much as mine always has!

2 comments:

  1. love chicken enchiladas! not sure how long you're in charleston for, but just FYI, metto is closed for renovations until january 3! crazy annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who does such things?!?! Didn't they know I was coming? haha, I'll be on my cruise Jan 1-7, then my man is coming down and I'm showing him around town until the 9th, so they better reopen :) Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete